Version 1.9.0 will be released soon and it has a lot of new features and bug fixes.
It is based on the previous version (1.6.3) but it is not backwards compatible. So I suggest that instead of trying an upgrade remove the previous version and install this new one.
The new version is available on github and it will be available on Magento connect on the same place that the current version is available now starting with [INSERT DATE HERE].
The 1.6 version will still be available on github but there will be no support for it.
Here are some key features from the new version. For a full list of release notes see this.
- Support for EAV entities.
- Module Admin menu can be placed anywhere in the menu tree.
- The frontend route of the module can be set manually on creation instead of using the module name.
- Allow users to comment on the generated entities.
- Link entities in a many to many relation with the catalog categories.
- Additional attribute types (dropdown, multiselects)
- Ability to add many to many relations between tree entities
- Displaying flat entities by store is optional now.
- Pimped up the admin UI of the module creator
- Faster admin UI. No more ajax calls to add a new attribute or a new entity.
- Made the HELP section include more valuable data.
- The aliases for models/blocks/helpers include the module namespace to avoid conflicts
- Generate an uninstall file to make it easier to remove installed modules.
- Most important: Module names can include uppercase letters. Until now using 'ModuleName' for the name of the module would make that module unusable on UX servers. Now it works.
- Entities were not displaying in product page unless they had a separate view page.
- Replaced 'addFilter' that had no effect with 'addFieldToFilter'